İstanbul Film Festival’s Closing Gala and Awards Ceremony took place on the evening of April 14, Saturday at Lütfi Kırdar Congress and Exhibition Hall.
With songs performed by Işın Karaca and Hüsnü Şenlendirici, the Gala was aired live on CNNTürk.
The “Cinema Honorary Awards” were presented to legendary French actors Gérard Depardieu and Catherine Deneuve by İKSV President Şakir Eczacıbaşı.
A Cock and Bull Story by Michael Winterbottom won the Golden Tulip Award, which was presented to Joy Wong, the representative of the film’s international distributor The Works, by the president of the Golden Tulip Jury, Jean-Paul Rappeneau.
The International Jury of the 25th International İstanbul Film Festival presided over by Jean-Paul Rappeneau (France) and composed of Prune Engler (France), Reha Erdem (Turkey); Nick James (United Kingdom), Makram Khoury (Israel), and Işık Yenersu (Turkey) has decided to give:
* The Golden Tulip Award to “A Cock And Bull Story” directed by Michael Winterbottom (United Kingdom) for the simplicity, invention and humour with which the film successfully adapts a notoriously unadaptable novel, celebrating cinema and literature at the same time.
The National Jury of the 25th International İstanbul Film Festival presided over by Zuhal Olcay (Turkey), and composed of Reis Çelik (Turkey), Leyla Özalp (Turkey), Daniela Sannwald (Germany) and Giorgio Gosetti di Sturmeck (Italy) has decided to give:
* The Best Turkish Film Of The Year Award to “Beş Vakit / Times And Winds” directed by Reha Erdem; for expressing the universal, the sentiments and conflicts pertaining to all human kind, as well as its courageous approach to taboo subjects with which the society needs to confront, without giving any concessions from cinematic concerns or aesthetics.
* The Best Director Of The Year Award to Kutluğ Ataman for his film “Iki Genç Kiz / Two Girls” for adapting and directing an international contemporary story with a radical aesthetic approach.
The Ministry of Culture and Tourism of Turkey gave a monetary prize of 40.000 YTL to each of the above-mentioned winners.
* The Best Actress Award to Şerif Sezer for her performance in “Babam ve Oğlum / My Father and Son”;
* The Best Actor Award has been conferred to Fikret Kuşkan for his performance in “Babam ve Oğlum / My Father and Son”;
The Ministry of Culture and Tourism of Turkey gave a monetary prize of 10.000 YTL to each of the above-mentioned winners.
* The Special Prize Of The Jury went to The People Of Muğla for their heartfelt support they have given to the art of cinema as cast and crew members in the film “Dondurmam Gaymak / Ice Cream, I Scream”.
The FIPRESCI Jury of the 25th International Istanbul Film Festival presided over by Blagoja Kunovski (Macedonia), and composed of Ahmed Hassouna (Egypt), Ayla Kanbur (Turkey), Anita Piotrowska (Poland), Antti Selkokari (Finland) and Fırat Yücel (Turkey), gave:
* The FIPRESCI Award in the International Competition to “A Cock And Bull Story” by Michael Winterbottom (United Kingdom), for its challenging and original approach towards adapting the novel that seems to be impossible to be adapted.
* The FIPRESCI Award in the National Competition, in memory of Onat Kutlar, went to “Beş Vakit / Times And Winds” directed by Reha Erdem, for once again, proving his talent in the winning film as beautifully capturing the universal themes of life and death.
As in the previous years, Efes Pilsen has given a prize of US$ 30.000 to the winner of the Onat Kutlar Prize, Reha Erdem, to be used for his next film project.People’s Choice Awards
People’s Choice Awards sponsored by the Radikal Newspaper and determined by the votes of the Festival audience, are given to:
* “Separate Lies” by Julian Fellowes (United Kingdom) in the International Competition, and “Babam Ve Oğlum / My Father And Son” by Çağan Irmak in the National Competition.